Followers

Friday, March 24, 2023

US Army Horse Drawn 105mm Howitzer

Roco 105mm howitzer in HO scale.
Hat WWI US Army French 75.  The US used them made in France and over 1,000 made in USA.
The French 75 is 1/72nd scale but it will serve for this purpose.
The US Army decided after WWI to have a 105 howitzer as the division gun but due to budget restraints built fewer than 20.
Using the Roco carriage I cut off the ears of the gun shield and the small gun shield on the front.
I replaced the wheels with the French 75 wheels.  I mounted it on a base because this is another 105mm from the spares box and the parts did not hold together well without mounting.  I used plastic coated rod from Plastruct for the axle because the wagon wheel has a larger hub opening than the Roco howitzer.  I made up a few of these for my Interwar US Army.  I don't know but I suspect they were all long out of service by WWII, but like some of the other guns in my collection they may fight at the Battle of Grovers Mill, New Jersey, in 1938.
 

No comments: