Followers

Saturday, March 11, 2023

M120S Tank

The end of the Cold War was rather abrupt and many projects were in the process of being completed when the Soviet Union collapsed.
This one is the M120S.
It was a major upgrade for the M60 series of tanks.
They essentially took an Abrams turret and put it on the M60 chassis.
The idea was that nations that could not afford the full Abrams but had plenty of operational M60 series tanks could upgrade them at a fraction of the cost of buying Abrams.
It was a good idea but a few years too late.
I took five of my tired old M60 tanks and gave them the Boley Abrams tank turret.  Then I cast hatches for it from the Roco Abrams and took Roco machine guns from the Roco machine gun set for the M120S.
It's a nice looking tank and an interesting design.  I also used the side skirts from the Boley and fit them to the Roco M60 hull.  It was a very quick and easy conversion, and the Boley Abrams turret is very good, it's the hull that is undersized and the road wheels that are wrong.
Still I have a plan for the old Abrams hulls.  Nothing goes to waste here.  I made a platoon of five, in real life I think they only made one and it was dismantled when they failed to sell any.
 

No comments: