Followers

Friday, June 16, 2023

Microwave Transmission and Receiving Van

During World War Two the US Army experimented with point to point microwave voice transmissions.  The idea was that they required little set up on the ground compared to regular phone lines and were hard to intercept since they were a directed beam.
This red thing I salvaged from a cat toy about 25 years ago, knowing that some day it would come in handy.  So today it became a microwave dish.  I got tho Roco Minitanks double length trailer out of the spares box.  It came in a collection I purchased years ago and never did anything with it.
So I added a back end, and a ladder for access.  I also added a second rear axle to the rear.
I added various antennas to the roof of the van.
And tidied up the underside, it was in rough shape, mostly missing!
I am setting up a sort of missile, radar, and communications test range unit.
I am trying to use up some of the oddball scraps of things that have been floating around the collection for a while.  They will likely get my 1950s scheme of paint and decals with lots of white stars and US Army decals.
The little stairway is removable so the van can be operational or in transit.
 

No comments: