Followers

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ruined Models






















I got some new ruins at my local hobby shop. These are supposed to be Soviet ruins from Stalingrad, in 15mm scale from JR Miniatures. These are highly detailed one piece resin models that have flat bases and are free of flash.























I find these 15mm ruins actually work well for 20mm 1/72nd scale figures also. These are Forces of Valor WWII Germans.






















How large is a brick? How big is a doorway? Often doors and windows can look very small, particularly on older buildings. Since these are ruins, I figure they will work just fine with my 1/72nd scale figures. I typically use buildings in 25mm, 20mm, 15mm and HO scale and even O Guage. In real life doorway size varies from too small to very large, bricks and stones vary in size, so as long as the building looks right with the troops, I figure it is okay to use.





















Ruins are important wargame pieces as warfare often destroys buildings, either the attacker destroys them trying to capture them or the defender destroys them trying to save them. Ruins can be used in wargames to provide cover for defenders or to canalize the attacker into areas of limited movement. Not until the infantry move in and occupy the city have the defenders lost and city fighting can be very dangerous, ruins like this allow you to conduct those kinds of operations.

5 comments:

Snickering Corpses said...

You know, while I'm aware that there's a set of ruins back there, I find myself staring at the gorgeous mounted soldier. Did you paint that Mike?

anushka said...

a good blog..i will link you.thank you.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Forces of Valor made that guy on horseback. They are sold at places like Target stores for about $7 with a little group of soldiers and accys, pre-painted.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

I have over 50,000 soft plastic figures in my collection and very few are painted. I can paint figures but I would rather build models than paint them.

David said...

Hi

great web blog and the models are terrific

i have started my own recently- you may be interested

http://ww2militaryminiatures.blogspot.com/

have a great day
david in oZ