Followers

Monday, September 15, 2008

Mammoths & Tar


















Recently my wife and I visited the La Brea Tar Pits in downtown Los Angeles, California. While there we learned about how animals would wander into the tar and get stuck, and then predators would see them, attack them, and also get stuck into the tar. After a time they would sink to the bottom and become just bones.


























While there we visited the gift shop and I managed to pick up a small herd of Woolly Mammoths. They have a mounted skeleton there and it is very impressive. The thing is huge. I could imagine myself with a pointy stick trying to kill one of those massive beasts.

http://www.tarpits.org/






















The last time I was at the museum, I picked up one small Bullyland mammoth model and it was really nice. It was $5.99 plus tax but all painted and ready to use on the wargame table, so a great value compared to those $25.00 monsters in lead the 28mm gamers use. The cute little red haired girl gave me a bit of a discount, so rather than 12, I got 14 of them and added to the one I already and and three smaller ones from Nature Toob I got a rather impressive herd.





















A small group of the Imex Friendly Indians in 1/72nd scale are interacting with a mammoth herd on the move. As you can see they are not having much luck in moving these massive beasts. These figures make excellent prehistoric men and I really like the guy with the deer skin and antlers camouflage! Highly recommended figures, mammoths and museum!

2 comments:

anushka said...

good blog..bookmarked you..may i link you?

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Vrajesh, glad you liked the blog, and I have linked to you and would be happy to have you link to me!