Followers

Thursday, February 12, 2009

WOTW Manta Ray



Pegasus Hobbies new War of the Worlds Martian War Machine in 1/48th scale. They are based on the 1954 George Pal movie, and are scaled from the machines in the movie. They are sold prepackaged in chrome plating just like this or as unassembled model kits.





The war machine stands on a little base styled like a globe of the Earth.



I saw some preproduction versions that were molded in a flat black plastic and I think flat black or even panzer gray would be great color schemes for this model. I can hardly wait to see the first one in WWII German markings!





The model spans about ten inches and while listed as 1/48th scale, I think it would be great for 28mm and I am considering getting them for 1/72nd scale use too.




WOTW is one of my favorite movies and this is a great model. Pegasus is also doing a third version in 1/144 scale. It contains two war machines and two M4A3E8 Sherman tanks. One of the war machines is firing it's heat ray at one of the tanks and they have a nifty little plastic "ray" part that would be useful as a gaming aid for a flamethrower!


I have been thinking about some of the possibilities for this set. Perhaps the larger ones could be used in 1/72nd scale as the regular war machines and the 1/144ths scale ones could be used as scouts or command vehicles. Or maybe use the little ones as the regular war machines and the big ones as mother ships, or heavy cruisers! I also thought I might paint one up for my Starship Troopers miniatures, these would look good in the gray and black color scheme. So much to do.





2 comments:

ModernKiwi said...

Hi Mike

Those are just magnificent. I will definately put a few on my wanted list. The 1959 version of WOTW is my favourite too, way better than the rubbishy remake.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

I think they are awesome too. There is an assembled version and an unassembled version. The unassembled version is cheaper and not copper plated. I saw one painted in black and it was very cool. I wait for someone to do one in Panzer gray with German markings...