Followers

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Lions and Tigers and Bears Almost



I like to collect photos of troops with animals.  Here a World War One American, or British soldier with his fuzzy white dog, stands by the roadside.  My wargame rules give troops a bonus if they have an animal mascot with them.


US troops using a lion cub as a mascot.  Lions seemed very popular in World War One but I would have thought they would be rare, I guess not.


Bear cub as a mascot, for the US Army.  It seems a large, omnivorous animal would be rather dangerous as a pet, but here he is, and they were kept as pets in WWII also.


Troops with a pet fox.


Pet alligator, probably in Florida, not a long term relationship, I suspect.


Pet goat and troops.  Goats are usually associated with the Navy.


Pet crow, probably would not have done well in the trenches, I suspect.


I knew a few clowns when I was in the Army, but they were not usually this obvious!  British or American, not sure which.

2 comments:

John Armatys said...

The first photo with the husky like dog is WW2 British or possibly Canadian (he is wearing 1937 pattern webbing).

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Thanks John. I am terrible with webbing patterns. Since the USA did wear WWI era British gear, but not WWII era British gear, I think that clinches him being British or Empire soldier! Keep reading.
Bunkermeister