Followers

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Airplanes From Interwar



I like to get double duty out of some of my collection, so my US Army WWI soldiers get to take part in inter-war combat as well. The shrike was a dive bomber used by the US Army between the wars. This is a limited edition kit that was difficult to put together, but I only wanted two, since the Army Air Corps was pretty limited in the 1930's.




An unfinished example of the B-10. These served very early in WWII. In the back you can see the passenger version of the B-24 Liberator. These were used for executive transport and for flying around important persons and small cargoes. No weapons and all aluminum for maximum speed.



A small Pitcarn gyrocoptor. The gyrocoptor was all the rage in the 1030's, too bad they never really caught on. The US Army did operate them a few times in the interwar years.



This is a Matchbox Supermarine Stranraer model airplane that my friend Col Jim built. While building it suffered and industrial accident and the kit was ruined. So he gave it to me. I converted it to a notional mono wing sea plane in American service.




It actually worked out as a pretty nice looking kit. I removed all the weapons, and gave it a single, longer wing. I put the engines on top to keep them away from the water. Not bad for a obsolete biplane!

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Bunkermeister:
I also saw a Boeing P-26 Peashooter and a Curtiss P-36 Mohawk in that mix, too...
Nicely done.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Thanks Bob G. Yes, I have a P-12 in there someplace too.