Followers

Thursday, July 3, 2008

HO Tigers





















This is an old Roco Minitanks HO 1/87th scale plastic model. It is probably at least 20 years old. The design is much older, by at least 10 years. They are sold unpainted in a very dark green, almost black plastic. The kit comes assembled but for best results needs to be disassembled, the flash trimmed and then re-assembled and glued.





















This is a die cast Corgi model Tiger I. It is just like this straight out of the box. It is metal and plastic, and looks great.





















This is the new Roco Tiger I. It is a bit larger, particularly the turret, compared to the original Roco. It is much closer in size to the Corgi. It has a few more parts than the original Roco and paints up really nice.





















This is an odd bird. It is sold under several names, but I got them as Zylmex. They originally came with rubber tracks and running gear that rolls. The tracks disintegrate in a few years. The running gear is not very realistic, and so I replaced them with an old set of Roco tracks. I will post a few more pictures soon of some other Tiger I tanks in HO scale.

2 comments:

Snickering Corpses said...

I have one of the Zylmex tigers myself, I think. Just did a turret repair on a Roco Tiger II a couple of days ago. Have to figure out how to replace the tracks on a knockoff Tiger II sometime. One of those with the silver plastic tracks.

How do you tell which Corgi models are which scale? I see a number of them on Ebay but they produce so many different scales it's hard to identify which are the 1/87.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Corgi Military Models are all kinds of random scales, it really is annoying. Most are between 1/64 and 1/100 and it would have been so easy to make them all HO, or 1/76 or even 1/72. The Panther, and Tiger I are HO. I think the Shermans are all smaller than 1/87th HO scale. The other German tanks are larger than 1/87, but I don't own any so I cannot say for sure. The Tiger II looks close, but I don't own one of them either. I have a couple shops nearby that stock them, so I often just measure them in the box, go home and do the math or measure a Roco or PHM to compare them.

They are rather cheap, so I am willing to just spend the $5 to check it out at home. If it is wrong, they go into the spares box, or I give it away to kids.