Followers

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Tractor and Limber


Using some bits from the Airfix World War One British Tank and a Lego brick, I made a limber for my WWI and Interwar era artillery.


Strelets makes artillery, but no limbers or towing vehicles.


The Airfix WWI tank does not need the rear wheels so I used them to make limbers for some of my guns.


During the Interwar period many WWI era guns were updated with rubber tires so they could be towed by vehicles rather that horses.  Solid wooden or steel wheels don't work well at speeds higher than a horse can pull the gun.  


So I made up a few limbers and now the Tyco tractors can tow my WWI artillery and Interwar guns.


The US Army Coast Defense Artillery used tracked tractors well into World War Two because the nature of their mission required they tow heavy guns, but not quickly.

2 comments:

Don M said...

That's cool Mike, I've used the same tractor to tow my Russian big antitank guns

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Thanks Don M. Tune in tomorrow for more on this project.
I used this vehicle from Tyco as a basis for a conversion to a Soviet version. I changed up the tracks, the exhaust, and the engine grille to vertical rather than horizontal openings.
Bunkermeister