Followers

Friday, December 14, 2018

The Saga of the Move


The Bunker as of a couple days ago.  These bags on the floor are filled with wrapping paper, shredded paper, and bubble wrap that I used to ship the collection.  I have 400 boxes left by latest could.  So far I have unpacked about 400 or so including the books and video collections.


These boxes are mostly terrain, but the collection was packed based on space and weight.  So Romans are in with Atomic Cannons.  Rocketships in with Dinosaurs, and Alamo Mexicans share a box with casting supplies.  It used up all the space but makes unpacking and looking for specific items difficult.


 My beloved wife, MRS Bunkermeister, took years of paper, mail, and such and shredded it for me to use as packing.  I have bag after bag of used shredded paper.  Despite her heroic efforts, the majority of the collection was packed using biodegradable packing peanuts.  Some of the collection was packed as much as three years ago in anticipation of the move.  Most of the collection was in storage for the past year, and of course all of it rode in a moving van for 2,000 miles.  Most of the boxes look like the ones in this picture, with packing peanuts holding the models in place, with the models sitting on a bed of bubble wrap, and covered in bubble wrap.  So far damage has been almost nothing, and all damage is repairable.


This bad of peanuts holds 14 cubic feet of packing peanuts and is almost six feet tall.  So far I have repacked 8 bags of these peanuts, and I still have a lot to go.  I am so glad I saved the bags, I used them for packing too.



One table is almost clear, this is about another weeks worth of work to unpack.  Note in the background the boxes are tucked away under the table.  That will be the barracks for my soldiers from now on, inside an underbed storage box and stacked neatly on custom built shelves.  Boxes won't be stacked on each other so no stress on the boxes.  Boxes are readily accessible individually, so I don't have to move four other boxes to get to the ones on the bottom.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Mike:
All I can say is...GOOD LORD - FOUR HUDRED BOXES!?!
(most impressive).

Carry on.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

400 or so...
Bunkermeister