Followers

Friday, May 21, 2010

Subs


When I cut the lower hull off of a ship model, I glue on a flat piece of styrene so the hull is stronger, and it will slide along on the wargame table easier.

Revell makes a WWII German submarine model, the Type VII C / Atlantic 1941. It is a mid to late war submarine. I have a couple of them under construction in this photo.


These 1/72nd scale models are about three feet long. When only doing the upper hull, there are not too many parts on the kit.


I taped the hull bottoms to the hull sides to help hold them in place while the glue is drying.



The late war versions of this submarine had a snorkel, it allowed the submarine to cruise underwater and stay hidden from Allied attacks.



Once the glue is dried, I have to trim the edges of the hull bottom flush with the sides. My long term plan calls for two of these submarines, and one early war Type VII C submarine. And maybe some others...




Submarines have great wargame potential. Build a dock or u-boat pen and then stage commando, resistance raid or even paratrooper drop on them. Play submarine vs Flower Class Corvette.




























2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Bunkermeister:
Tell 'ya one thing...I'm learning a LOT more about U-Boats HERE than on the freaking MILITARY CHANNEL...LOL.

Keep up the great work!

:)

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Well, Bob G. I could sense your need to know more about U-Boats so I am filling you in. Glad to be of service. ;)