Followers

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Roco Reconnaissance Company

The old Roco Minitank catalogs used to have tables of organization for the US, WWII Germans and other countries.  This one is a US Army, post-WWII Reconnaissance company.  Since I first saw this organization chart I wanted to build this unit and I have been working on it.  With further research I determined this organization was very similar to units both previous to this one and subsequent to it.  So I made a unit like this using the M47 series tank and M59 series armored vehicles, and other changes you will see below.
M47 tank with the M48 tank style cupola.  This improvement was intended but never fielded because the M47 was quickly replaced in US service by the M40.  The M59 series APC, however, did get this style of cupola as seen here on the personnel carrier.  If you click on the photos they should enlarge for your viewing pleasure.
The other M59 type is actually the M84, the mortar carrier, it has a large hatch on the back of the roof, and two mortar base plates on the rear.  It carried a 4.2 inch mortar in the back, normally fired towards the rear of the vehicle.  It was in US service about ten years from the late 1950s until replaced by the M106.
Rather than the M114 this unit has the M38 Jeep, I made three slightly different versions.
The light tanks are the M41 Walker Bulldog.
All of these vehicles are Roco, except for the M59 and M84 which are Roskopf.
 

5 comments:

Legion4 said...

Looks good to me !!!

Legion4 said...

I still have those old ROCO catalogues ... a good primer for understanding TO&Es ...

jeigheff said...

Roco TOEs were a great idea. And it's fun to see you bring the TOEs to life with your own collection.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, Mr. 4 I gave away all my Roco catalogs except the cool little one with the TO&E information.
Thanks for reading.
Bunkermeister

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, Jeff, I always thought it was a great idea on marketing, you see five tank platoon, you want five tanks!
Thank you Jeff, I am having fun doing it and more to come!
Bunkermeister