Followers

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Emily, Disneyland, Lee, and the German Air Force in WWI

When I moved my WWI German air force suffered almost complete destruction.  Most of the planes had at least a little damage.  Most had the wheels knocked off and the wing struts broken.  I suspect the box was placed on the bottom of the stack and the contents crushed as the damage was consistent with that type of accident.  That was particularly annoying because I labelled each box with it's weight in large numbers and told the movers to stack them heavy to light to avoid this problem.  Once the 200+ boxes were in storage I removed all of them and restacked them.  They even put boxes in upside down and on the end rather than flat.
While repairing the planes I took the opportunity to finish painting them.  All of them were at least partially painted but several needed details or camouflage painted.  Many of my decals for them crumbled or even crumbled off the airplane model.  These are some of my oldest kits and I have significantly upgraded my decal application process since then.  So I removed the bad decals from the planes and in a few months I hope to return to these models to apply new decals.
Japanese Emily sea plane.  I built it after I finished the six Zeros project.  It's a huge plane and a great kit.
German planes in the box lid with bits waiting for repair.  German planes in the box on the bubble wrap after repair. I line many of my boxes with bubble wrap because it prevents the planes from sliding around in the box and it does not react to the plastic.
I have also been tidying up the GI Joe collection.  This is a WWII US Army Platoon at full strength.  Three squads and a small HQ section.  41 figures total.  I still need a few more weapons, and shirts, and a couple other bits.
My WWII German infantry in boxes.  These are waiting for me to purchase underbed storage boxes so they can be cleared from the table.  I purchased six boxes a few days ago and some of these are already in their new underbed barracks.
Disneyland, one of my many projects.  I have been to Disneyland in Southern California at least a dozen times and I loved it.  Toon Town, the Snow White Castle, Monstro, and several other attractions are visible in this photo.  It is still very much a work in progress but this last year has seen many upgrades.  I hope that 2023 will see it finished.  2022 has other projects in line ahead of them, but work will continue on Disneyland.
M3 Lee tanks by Reviersco in HO scale metal.  I am working on a company of 17 for Makin Island, the only use of the Lee in the Pacific by US Army troops, and another company of 17 for Tunisia.  Then another 17 for use in the USA for training units, three HQ tanks for a battalion of 54.  I also plan on getting a couple captured ones for my Germans and a few for my Soviet Army.  Probably about 70ish total.

 Last of the WWI German aircraft getting repairs and paint.  This is my black nose and tail squadron.  Each plan will have the spinner and tip of the tail painted black, like the white plane.  Some of thee planes also needed crews, I suspect the original kits did no come with pilots, but that problem has been resolved.

No comments: