Followers

Thursday, June 10, 2021

M48 & M60A2 Got Together

The US Army retired the M60A2 tanks and the M48 AVLB at about the same time.
The M60A2 hulls became the new bridge layer.
The M48 hulls got the old M60A2 turrets and were placed on tank gunnery ranges as targets.
Some were eventually sent to various museums and posts as monument tanks.
I got this photo off the Internet, I don't remember where, and it shows one of these tanks with an M60A2 turret and an M48 hull.  The M60 hull front goes straight across, and M48 hull is boat like, as this one is, the M48 also has the 5 return rollers on top.
I got an HO scale M48 tank kit from a company that I think was named Kawaii, from Japan.  It was not a good kit.  And I got an M60A2 tank model in HO scale from Tomy.  A great kit, but I just needed the hull for a different project.  So I combined the Kawaii turret, and the Tomy hull and some Roco M60A2 bits that were more detailed and used them for this model.  It will be painted as a museum piece for my collection.  I have read that while the M60 and M48 turrets can be swapped onto each other's hulls, the M60A2 version won't work because of technical problems with the air scavenger system to clear out the barrel after firing.  I also have no doubt that in an emergency, Yankee ingenuity would figure out a way to do it if necessary.
 

No comments: