Followers

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Panzer III Bits


A Roco Panzer III from the spares box has been converted to a bridge transporter.



I purchased a few collections over the years and managed to obtain some of the Esci 251 halftracks with the bridge. I saved the bridges for just such a project.


Taking a bit of sheet plastic with a wooden deck pattern, I cut it to size and glued it on the upper hull. Then I glued on the little brackets to hold on the bridges.



I used the bead technique for the bow machine gun, and replaced the spare wheels with a Jerry can and a canvas bag from the spares box.


In service the crew removes the bridge bits and carries them to the obstacle. Then the tanks can drive over the hill or across the small stream. Another good use for a tired old kit that would have been sitting unused in the spares box. This is where having a good library is helpful. Panzer III & Its Variants, by Walter J. Spielberger, Schiffer Military History, 1993. It has loads of photos and drawings of great conversions to make.

2 comments:

Tim Gow said...

That's a good idea - I'm sure I have a pair of these bridging spans in the spares box - and who doesn't have a spare Pz III kicking around?

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Tim, I think that's exactly what the Germans said!