Followers

Monday, January 12, 2009

Tools


Good tools make for better modelling. I have tons of model tools and sometimes you get them in odd places. The top tool is a dental pick and the bottom tool is a awl.


As you can see from the closeup of the tip this is a pointy cylinder that tapers back from a very sharp point. I find these very useful items and pretty cheap as tools go. I only paid a couple bucks for each of these and they are well worth the price.




Many discount tool stores sell dental instruments, often in a big bin. I have several different ones, but the one with two pointy ends is very helpful. It is very sharp and has a good handle so it can be held well. The tool is pretty strong, but I have broken them, so as always wear eye protection when using tools.
I have used the little tip to apply glue into hard to reach places. Afterwards it can be wiped off or even scrapped off the tool with a knife. I have used them to scribe plastic to make patterns, like a bare wood grain for example. They are very good for expanding the holes on the hands of ring hand figures. Sometimes figures will have a ring hand to allow them to carry either a sword or pole arm or even a flag. Frequently the holes are just a bit too small and by inserting this tool you can expand the hole enough to make the weapon fit. I often use these for conversions too, take a fist and drive this pin through the hand and then insert a weapon or model tool into the figures hand.
The awl is for the same type of work, but being thicker it is better for the heavy duty jobs. Sometimes when you have horses with pegs that go into a hole in the base or other similar job the awl is very good for that because it is much thicker than the dental tool. Having good tools makes modelling easier.

2 comments:

Hugh Walter said...

Mike - you really aught to try drilling ring hands...although your method will work well, now, on new production, once it has a bit of age, or the wrong kind of paint (I don't know what the 'right' kind is but I know some paints accelerate the brittling process!) the strained area will split and the item may drop out (smiley with extended hand goes here - constructive not negative crit!)

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

I do use a micro drill too, but I find this takes about one second, so it is much faster. Most of my work is on new figures and if my figures go brittle they become surplus. As a wargamer, brittle figures are a pox and must be removed from the collection.

Thanks for reading and thanks for posting. Be sure to sign up as a follower and tell all your friends. Also check out my other two blogs.