Followers

Sunday, August 18, 2024

What Does Mike Collect?

 

 My collection is vast but it follows a certain logic.  I am an American and most of my collection is American focused.  My degree is in history with an emphasis on Modern European and American history.

The primary collection is the US Army from the First Muster of English Speaking Militia in the New World in Massachusetts in December, 1636, and it's enemies, and it's allies to the near future; including alternate history and science fiction elements.  It is mostly 1/72nd scale figures with HO 1/87 scale vehicles.  Buildings are as small as 15mm and as large as 28mm; because how large or small is a building?

My largest focus is on the 20th Century, World War Two and the Cold War in Europe between the USA and the USSR.  I also have significant collections for the Korean War and the Vietnam War.  I am building American cities from the period of 1776 to now.  They are represented by Los Angeles, South Pasadena, Hollywood, Disneyland; California, Sierra Vista, AZ, New York City, Grover's' Mill, New Jersey, Gettysburg, PA, and Washington, D.C..

I am also building elements of London, Paris, Berlin, Moscow, Tokyo; and the American fictional cities of Gotham City and Metropolitan City (the Green Hornet lives  there.)

My WWI US Army collection is about a Regiment of Infantry with supporting elements of artillery, armor, horse cavalry, and aircraft.  I have a smaller number of WWI Germans but just as varied.  I have a minuscule amount of French troops and a small group of Russian Civil War forces.

For the Interwar years I have combined WWI and WWII items along with a few specific interwar vehicles for a 1938 US Army.  That's close enough to World War Two but still using mainly WWI gear and a mixture of new technologies.

My WWII collection is all the combat elements of a US Army Infantry Division and an Armor Division.  An SS Panzer Army of two corps, and four to six divisions.  They are late war and under strength.  I also have two Soviet Union divisions, one infantry and one armor, with Free Polish troops also.

For the Cold War I have a US Army Separate Mechanized Infantry Brigade that swaps out the Armor, Infantry and Artillery battalions as time progresses.  So M26 / M46 battalion becomes M47 then M48, then M60, M60A1, Abrams for example.

These are the main parts of the collection, but I also have espionage, special forces, science fiction, alternate history, and other nations.

I also have a substantial World War Two 1/2400 scale waterline ships collection for most of the seafaring nations.  A collection of 12 inch GI Joe type figures.  There is also a large 60mm/ 54mm size collection of 20th Century era figures and vehicles.

That's the overview, I hope it was interesting for you.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek

No comments: