Followers

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Robots

Resin cast robots, unpainted, their back sides are just plain smooth.
While shopping at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Jo Anns, I  always check out the candy making section.
They always have silicon molds for casting chocolate and other candies.


I got two different molds over the last few years but only now have I cast anything from them.


They were cast using Alumilite resin I also got from one of those stores.  Robots shown here with two 1/72nd scale police officers.  Despite the happy faces they seem pretty formidable at about 8 feet tall!


When placed with 60mm figures they seem more like Twiki from Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century.

I painted them with gold, copper and steel spray paints without a primer from Rust-Oleum.


They are very easy to cast, two parts of resin into a cup, mix and pour.  No mold release needed.  Wait a couple minutes and the clear resin turns white and the robot is done.


Flex the mold and out comes the robot.  There was no mold wear and I suspect you could make hundred of them for a mold cost of less than $10.  The resin was $20 and could have probably made at least 50 of these, maybe more.  The molds don't have to be poured to the full depth so you could extend the number you want to make.  I am sure those who paint well could really spice up the look of these little robots compared to my spray paint work.  While intend to make more I am still planning on exactly what I am going to use them for, some minor conversion work might make them more specifically construction, exploration, or military.
 

No comments: