Followers

Sunday, October 16, 2022

FST and AA

Near the end of the Cold War the Soviet Union considered several new versions of the T72 tank.
One of them was essentially a copy of the German Geopard anti-aircraft gun vehicle.  They mounted it on a T72 tank with few other changes apart from a new turret.  It never entered service, but I built a few of them for my collection on the assumption that it could have and it makes my Cold War Soviet Army a little more interesting.
This was the Follow On Soviet Tank.  It was supposed to replace the T72 tank.
The concept was to have an unmanned turret with an auto loader.
The Soviet Union was always plagued with a low population and had difficulty raising enough troops, so they tried to make tanks that were automated to solve that problem.  It never entered service.
Still I built one just because it seemed pretty cool and adds one more "modern" vehicle for my late Cold War Soviet Union army.
 

No comments: