Followers

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Boy Scouts and Gettysburg

This time a prone WWI British Airfix figure with a new head.
This gives me six rifle firing figures all different.
No boy scout camp is complete without signal flags.
Sitting around the campfire.

Until the last few years I have always respected the boy scouts and the work they did, my figures are not intended to represent any specific scouting organization but rather to encompass the period from about 1898, a couple years before the Boy Scouts of America were formed, and about 1958.  I think they will be useful for my War of the Words scenarios for 1898, 1918, 1938 and 1958.  

The Boy scouts participated in a Civil War veterans reunion at Gettysburg in 1913 marking the 50th anniversary of the battle, over 400 boy scouts were there.  In 1938 there was a 75th anniversary reunion at the Gettysburg battlefield.  In 1913 over 100,000 people attended.  In 1938 nearly two thousand Civil War veterans attended.  Both reunions invited all American Civil War veterans, from either side.

Gettysburg was used for military training in the years between WWI and WWII.

This figure is an Airfix WWI American who originally was bayoneting a fallen foe.  I figure boy scouts would have few opportunities for that so I gave him a shovel.

2 comments:

tsold3000 said...

neat stuff..The wife and I visited Gettysburg twice in 21 and plan on going in September for a longer stay..A very peaceful and humbling experience.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

I have been to Gettysburg three times. Once alone, once with my daughters school in 5th grade, and once with my wife. Never had enough time there to walk around and see everything. The museums are great, and the people are friendly and helpful. We both want to go back.
Thanks for reading tsold.
Bunkermeister