Followers

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

155mm Long Tom


Slush cast artillery.



I think it is a toy version of the US Army 155mm Long Tom, note the to bands on the barrel, the equilibrator arms, the cradle for the barrel and two sets of wheels.  Slush cast models are often very simplified.


I got this gun from eBay a few years ago.


It was in rough shape and needed a lot of work.  I stripped off the old brown paint and primer painted it and painted it Testors OD Green.


The original wheels are made of wood and are essentially a disk. I replaced them with cast resin wheels that are more realistic looking.


Slush cast models are hollow metal models.


There are two versions of this model, one has a vertical loop and the other a horizontal loop for the towing vehicle to attach to it.  I have four of each, more by luck than intention. 


I use them with my 1938 US Army project.  Here is a pair in action.

2 comments:

banzai55 said...

THAT is a....weird and funky looking cannon. Not a big fan of those; the proportions look all wrong. I much prefer the tootsie toy version you showcased earlier - I actually bought two of them off of ebay following that! Another cool piece, that I don't think you've posted (?) is the tootsietoy searchlight; together with the big howitzers, it makes a nice battery.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Tootsietoy searchlight is very cool, and expensive, so I don't have any. Also hard to find.
Yes, they are weird and funky which is why I like them. Too odd to be used for WWII and so I use them only with my 1938 US Army. My 1938 US Army uses mostly old toys or modifications of old toys and they fight Germans, United Kingdom, Martians, and other unusual opponents. I selected 1938 because that was the Orsen Wells War of the Worlds radio broadcast, and just pre-war enough that most of the players were in place but most of the weapons were not quite the WWII versions. And there are lots of cool toys from then too that work with 1/72nd scale figures.
Thanks for reading Banzai.
Bunkermeister