Followers

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Soviet Tank Park






















These are some of my T-34/76 tanks. This was the most important Soviet tank of the Second World War. The Russians had tens of thousands of them and they were in combat from the beginning of the war until the end of the war. It was sturdy, had good armor, a good gun, was mechanically reliable and well liked by the crews.





















Many people say it was the best tank of WWII. I don't think that is true. The Germans considered making their own version of it, but rejected that notion pretty fast. The Americans and the British made tens of thousands of tanks and did not copy it either. The American made tanks for the British to British designs and did not even make T-34 for export only.

My collection is transitioning from storage in a number of different kinds of cardboard underbed storage boxes into plastic underbed storage boxes. So far I have moved over 100 boxes of tanks and trucks and vehicles into the new boxes. At over 100 vehicles per box; that's a lot of vehicle. Naturally, some of those boxes contain airplanes, and buildings, and boats and even some empty space, so I don't have 10,000 vehicles, but I am working on it!






















Here are some of the stacked boxes and you can see the buildings and even boxes within boxes to keep units together. My Soviet WWII collection is two tank regiments, one with T-34/76 and one with T-34/85. In Berlin there are two T-34/76 mounted on plinths that are the first two Soviet tanks into the city. It was very interesting to see them mounted there on display last year.

4 comments:

Bill Jr said...

Mike,
All I can say is "WoW" I think you have Just a few Ummmm, Boxes......

Bill Jr

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

In 1964 I think I got my first Roco, and Airfix troops came several years before that. I have always done the same scales and it is really the only hobby I have, so in 40 years you can really amass a lot of stuff.

m60a3tanker said...

That's alot of T-34's Mike. Have you used them in a game yet?

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, these are veteran units. Actually this is only a token of my WWII Soviet forces.
Back in the days of the Cold War, I had a couple pen pals in CZ who sent me HO scale tanks and I sent them 1/35th scale aircraft kits. I got a lotta tanks from those guys.