Followers

Monday, April 1, 2024

Arctic Tanks and Jeeps

This Roco Minitanks catalog tale of organization for a Cold War US Army Reconnaissance unit is a great small combined arms team.  I am using it for the basis of several units I am building.  By substituting different tanks, light tanks, mortar carriers, APCs, I can change the time period and still have a unit that is reasonably close to real life.
This unit is very similar to my previous one, only in arctic white.
The US Army had an official camouflage scheme of flat white paint overall.  I have never seen a US Army vehicle in this configuration, not even in photos.  But I suspect in areas of the Northern US and Alaska in certain times of year all white would be a good camouflage color to use.  This is a Roco M41 tank that has been painted white, the was tape over the hole for the pin to the turret.
Roskopf M59 armored personnel carrier with the upgraded M48 tank style cupola, and a conversion to the M84 mortar carrier next to it.
A close up of the mortar carrier, you can see the hatches on the roof.  In the back you can see the M38 Jeeps and an M47 tank.
The truck bed is for a vehicle that is not part of this unit and there will be more on it later.

 I tape the tank turret pins with blue tape, and mask the holes in the hull also so they don't bind up after painting.  Usually I build the model completely, then primer paint it and then paint it over all and finally paint the details.  I do it this way because sometimes the vehicles participate in set ups or wargames before they are completely finished and it can be years, even decades between start and finish of a project.

4 comments:

Legion4 said...

I still have my ROCO catalogues, they were very well done ! Is thayt APC an M59? Kind of the precursor to my beloved M113 ?

Legion4 said...

I believe those AFVs in the Scout Plt are M114s. Long gone by the time I was on Active Duty.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, that is the Roskopf M59 larger than the Roco M113 but still underscale!

Bunkermeister

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, the AFVs are M114, I have substituted the M38 Jeep since I have modified this TOE to use earlier vehicles, except for the M41 which overlapped service with M38 and M114 as well as the M47 and M48 AND the M59 and M113.

More to come.

Bunkermeister