Followers

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Spacemen


Using a sprue cutter I removed the head.


Using  a hobby knife I trimmed up the area around the neck and shoulders.


Using an awl I created a pilot hole for the insertion of the pin.


A small pin vise is just the tool for making the hole for the new helmet.


Place the new helmet on the head, inserting the pin into the hole, this is only a test fit.  Sometimes the hole has to be deeper and sometimes the pin must be shorter.

6 comments:

lrqan said...

Still very interested can't wait to see how you develop these figures. It is a project I've had on the back burnerr for a while. A Space Ranger thing (ish)

Uncle Brian said...

Hi, I have followed your blog with a great deal of interest for some time now. Your current 'Spaceman' project looks like a very interesting conversion project for creating some unique 1/72 figures. Are the base figures you are using for the conversion readily available in the US? or are they something you have pulled from your 'war stocks'? as I haven't seen the bags of bulk 'clone' plastic 1/72 scale figures for years, and had been told from some sources that it was due to new toy safety regulations deeming them a choking hazard. It's surprising how many of us survived our childhood surrounded by unsafe toys...

Sam's Blog said...

very interesting post!
always useful to see how some of minis-hobbyists do their conversions!
Yours are very good!
Thanks for sharing!

El Senyor Verd said...

Fantastic idea!!!!

Bunkermeister said...

You are welcome, move that Space Ranger to the front burner!

Bunkermeister said...

The figures are from a company called Mannix, I have seen them on eBay, I got two bags of them at Dollar Tree years ago and I set them aside for this very project.

You are right Uncle Brian, everything I owned as a child could have killed me or scarred men mentally, and I would not have it any other way.

I may go run with sissors later.