Followers

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Painting Tricks

While I have an airbrush, I much prefer a rattle can for spray painting.  I use the airbrush mostly for aircraft, and only for tanks or ground vehicles when I need a color I can't approximate with a spray can.  Sometimes I want to spray the same vehicle as soon as possible.  Some paints are ready for a second coat immediately, some in 15 minutes and others in an hour or more.

Rather than bother to look at the clock and try to remember what 15 minutes after 2:37 is, while the spray paint is drying, I just got a little timer.  I found it in the kitchen gadget section of Walmart, but I am sure similar timers are in many places in many stores.  Twist the knob and it makes a noisy buzzer when time is up.  So if I am distracted with a phone call, Internet, building a kit, watching a TV show, my trusty timer is on the job.
Did you know that Rust-Oleum sells paint by the same name with different stock numbers?  I have found the DEEP FRST GRN with this number and a shorter number.  I suspect different numbers refer to different retailers, rather than actual paint differences, but I am not sure.  They seem to be the same, or at least within the margin of error.
I am using this color on my Cold War Soviet vehicles.  Here some SDV stuff gets painted.  Note the black circle on the spray can lid.  That is an indication the paint can has been used.  It helps me to find the open can, and helps me with inventory control.  Just a quick circle with a marker pen.
The paper towel I use to wipe off the nozzle after every few sprays.  It helps keep it from clogging.  I keep a paper towel on the can lid of every open paint can so it is handy when needed.
I spray paint most of my stuff on a wooden board, or sometimes on poster board, or even cardboard.  Cardboard is nice because I just take an old Amazon box, cut it up and use it a couple times and toss it out.  Less flammable material laying around.  Same with poster board.  My wooden boards are just scrap lumber from previous projects.  In this case you can see there are Popsicle sticks white glued around the perimeter of the wood.  That helps keep wheeled vehicles from rolling off.  There are also holes drilled in the wood so I can put the Roco turret pins into the holes and paint the turret as it sits flat on the board.  It also keeps the turret from being blown around by the paint.

The cardboard box from Sam's Club is there because this day had intermittent rain.  So I would rush out, paint a couple vehicles and sneak back inside.  If we started to get a few drops of rain, the vehicles would be covered enough by the box to prevent rain getting on them.  Rain and spray paint is a bad mix.  You can get little water blisters of spray paint on the tanks.  Voice of experience.  It means paint stripper and starting over!  The glass brick is square and heavy so it keeps the box in place.  Having the box open allows more air flow to prevent too many fumes.

Comment below if you have a spray painting tip to share!
 

No comments: