Followers

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Photo Techniques


To take these photos I go outside, late in the day.  It means no shadows, so the light consistent.   The models are placed on a painted terrain board on a table.  I have a small step stool to lean on or sit on.  Having the models off the ground makes it easier to bend over to photograph them.


Hold the camera still, and get low and close to the models.  Use the macro setting on the camera.  I hold the camera in close to my body.  I take lots of photos and often they don't all make it onto the blog.


Many model builders take photos from above.  That's great to give an overview of the set up, or to give the view from a reconnaissance aircraft.  But they don't allow the close up detail of the models.   I also use the edit feature to trim the edges of the photos so the subject is centered well.


The base board I use is simply a thin sheet of plywood that has been painted grey and green.  In fact, I used it to primer paint and olive drab paint some vehicles.  The randomness of the colors works well for a photo base.

Welcome readers from Poland.

No comments: