Followers

Saturday, September 7, 2024

Making Scratch Built Cars

Here is most of the car body.  The base is a large 1/2 thickness brick.
I put a bit of plastic tubing on the center of the clear plastic disc so it would accept the plastic coated metal rod that was used as an axle. 
I glued the wheels, centered them and then trimmed the plastic sheet to the specific size and shape of each wheel.
Small jewellery findings were used as the trailer hitches.  They are a metal wire with a loop on one end.  I used pliers to open the link enough to make a trailer hitch.
Painting the driver figures and using a clamp to hold the wet paint off the desk.  Wheel axles and hubs glue are drying.  The steep learning curve was very time consuming but actual construction did not take all that long, considering I was making four cars at once.  I intend to make more, and paint some as civilian, and police.  I also have many more wheels in different sizes so I will likely make different models.  Most cars in those days were very limited production, so a lot of different ones is okay.
 

No comments: