Followers

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Motorcycles

The old Soviet Union used to have a lot of motorcycles in their motorized units.
They operated in small units and often were employed as messengers.  In the nuclear battlefield radios might not always work so motorcycles were employed for that purpose.
I have been gluing these Roskopf motorcycles onto Evergreen Scale Models item number 4504 Tile using the Model Master Liquid Cement.
They are going to be painted with Rust-Oleum deep forest green soon.
 

6 comments:

Roger said...

I love motorcycles, and rides of my self. I've even made some to 1:19 scale as loads for my German Heeresfeldbahn train. Soviet motorcycles were often made by Dnepr or Ural and based on German WW2 BMW R71 design.

They're not only used for communications but also as a 'light cavalry'. Taliban used smaller motorcycles in Afghanistan to rapidly move units around on places the heavier ISAF armored vehicles couldn't pursue them. This gave tha Taliban a tactical success as they could regroup into new positions and ambush. It doesn't look like this tactics work as good for Russian troops in Ukraine.

jeigheff said...

Those motorcycles would look good en masse in one of your parades.

Roger, thanks for the info about the 'light cavalry.'

jeigheff said...

I know this is silly, so I'll apologize in advance. But I wonder if anyone makes miniatures of modern Indian motorcyclists? I'm thinking of the ones who do stunts in their military parades.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, the WWII German and Soviet motorcycles can be interchanged in the small scales without worry. Thanks for the Taliban update Roger.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

I do have a model of Red Square for a reason! Thanks for commenting Mr. J.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Maybe you will have to commission some 3D printer guy to make one for you.